Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Shame Of The Pepys Paper

Yes, I was dumb. Yes, I am writing a research paper on Samuel Pepys. No, I chose this topic.
It was one of those things, my mom had a whole list of people my English class and I could write our final papers about, ranging from John Milton to Jules Verne. As I blithely skimmed over it, I saw a name that jumped out of me... Samuel Pepys.
I grew up in England and attended British public school. And during a history lesson when I was about six, we learned about The Great Fire Of London and about this chap, Samuel Pepys. We Learned that Samuel Pepys wrote a diary and buried a cheese during the fire. The end, good-bye, that was it.
So, when I saw the name "Samuel Pepys", I thought, "Hey! I know about that guy." Boy, was I ever wrong. In British Infant (early elementary) school, they failed to tell us about all Pepys, um, issues. To cut a long story short, here I am, feeling like an idiot, because I'm the only one in the whole class who despises my subject. And of course, Monica the Man finds it necessary to make fun of me every three minutes.*Siiiiigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment