I spent last week in Rhode Island with Octavia and her parents. It was a whole lot of fun! We went sailing; we toured Rough Point (home of Doris Duke), went to the rather chilly beach, went shopping, went to Boston and almost got run over by a duck bus, and, of course, ate lots of yummy sea food. It was a most satisfactory, geometry-free vacation.
It is a loooooong drive from NC to RI. Meg the terrier was terrified the whole trip. It was so pitiful to see her shaking, so I let her sit in my lap. Octavia and I took turns sleeping and reading.
The house we stayed in was really old and really cool. 'Tavia and I had a room like a bowling alley. We had to jump off the end of our bed every morning. The view from the back door was amazing! We could see sailboats, seagulls, and when the tide came in, it was nearly up to the door. There was a little yard where we could play with the dogs. Unfortunately there was also construction. Think pile driving from 7-3. But that just got to be an inside joke.
Octavia and I heart Newport. We loved looking in all the cute little shops and people watching. We bought sunglasses (Tavia), an orange scarf from, of all places, the Army/Navy surplus store (me), CDs, and awesome earings. We ate the most amazing lobster ravioli, and ice cream. We also had a little bit too much fun eavesdropping on other peoples' conversations and listening to Tavia's dad imitate "Karen" the check-out lady.
More to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment