I love to shop. I really do; I think it's fun, but I'm also a total cheapskate. I cannot stand to pay more than 5 dollars for a t-shirt. I mean, really, there's not THAT much fabric in it. For $20 I would at least expect a burka. Call me crazy, but I really hate paying retail for anything.
But it's not only the price that I dislike about retail stores, it's also the lack of variety. Sure my local Macy's has everything: designer handbags, neon tank tops, and those fabric tubes that can be either a top or a skirt, but I love a treasure hunt when I shop for clothes. I love to paw through racks of, sometimes ridiculous, clothes and pull out a great item. I enjoy finding something really ugly and wondering what sort of person bought it in the first place. When I first started shopping at thrift stores, I'll admit, that I was kind of grossed out but the idea that someone else had worn these clothes before. After awhile however I began to find the fun in it.
After quite a bit of trial and error I have come up with a few basic rules about thrifting. First of all, if it looks shabby in the store, chances are it will look worse when you take it home. Secondly, If it doesn't fit, don't buy it. There's nothing more infuriating than having something cute that doesn't fit. Finally have fun, experiment. You won't blow your budget by trying something new.
But it's not only the price that I dislike about retail stores, it's also the lack of variety. Sure my local Macy's has everything: designer handbags, neon tank tops, and those fabric tubes that can be either a top or a skirt, but I love a treasure hunt when I shop for clothes. I love to paw through racks of, sometimes ridiculous, clothes and pull out a great item. I enjoy finding something really ugly and wondering what sort of person bought it in the first place. When I first started shopping at thrift stores, I'll admit, that I was kind of grossed out but the idea that someone else had worn these clothes before. After awhile however I began to find the fun in it.
After quite a bit of trial and error I have come up with a few basic rules about thrifting. First of all, if it looks shabby in the store, chances are it will look worse when you take it home. Secondly, If it doesn't fit, don't buy it. There's nothing more infuriating than having something cute that doesn't fit. Finally have fun, experiment. You won't blow your budget by trying something new.
No comments:
Post a Comment