Thursday, December 1, 2011

Book Review: How to Find Your Soulmate Without Losing Your Soul



How to Find You Soulmate Without Losing Your Soul by Jason and Crystalina Evert is one of many books on Catholic courtship and dating. Unlike many books, however, it offers a down-to-earth view on dating. Jason and his wife, Crystalina, offer advice to women in all walks of life, with particular emphasis on college age women.

Honestly I felt there were many parts of this book that didn't apply to me because I have never had to deal with an abusive relationship. So I skipped a couple parts, but I also found so much that was helpful as well as practical. One of the many reasons I like this book is that it offers just the right balance between guarding your heart and being comfortable with young men.

Personally I thought this book corrected a lot of common misconceptions about dating. The first two chapters "No Missionary Dating" and "Date with Purpose" deal with some of the biggest problems I've seen in relationships. First of all Jason and Crystalina discourage zealous young women from trying to convert dreamy heathens. They also caution against dating for the sake of dating, encouraging girls to examine their reasons for dating. One of the best points they make is that young women shouldn't become unhappy if they don't meet Mr. Right the first time around. Instead The Everts tell their readers to learn for their mistakes and to move on.

My favorite quote from the book is undoubtedly, "You aren't at school to find your groom, you're here to find your bridesmaids." I love how Jason and Crystalina emphasize the importance of girl friends. A couple needs mutual friends, and the individuals need their close friends regardless of their relationship status. They also point out that a couple should first and foremost be friends. If there are no mutual interests or activities the couple will very soon become bored with just "mush".

Jason and Crystalina offer practical advice mixed with humor, personal stories, and testimonials from young women they've worked with. Their book is a fantastic resource for women in all situations: single, dating, or courting. I am so delighted that this book came my way because it has provided me with so much food for thought!






No comments:

Post a Comment