Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011

   It seems like 2011 was a really bad year for a lot of people what with the economy and many personal trials. But for me 2011 was probably the best year I've had since my Freshman year of high school. So I'd like to take this opportunity to reflect on the many blessings I received this year.

I got my driver's license in May, and it gave me a whole new level of independence. I feel so grown up being able to drive myself places, and it's so much fun taking my siblings through the drive-thru just because I can. I also worked really hard as a babysitter over the summer. I know it's not a real job, but earning my own money to buy things I need (as opposed to having my parents buy me things) was a big step forward. I won't deny that my job was really hard because the family was on a completely different mindset from mine, and the kids were sometimes difficult to manage for long periods of time. But I was very proud of myself for getting through it.

I finished high school in 2011! I never thought that day would come, and believe me, at times it was hard to believe that there was really an end, but I did it! I was very lucky to graduate with three upstanding young men who also worked hard for this day. It was amazing to look back at the past four years and be able to say, "We really did accomplish something!"

I was also accepted to the college of my dreams. Although I was so sure I would go to another school, I felt God leading me to this school, and I am so glad I listened! The past four months have been a whirlwind: making new friends, meeting new challenges, and gaining a lot of self-confidence. I was very  very very blessed to receive enough, financially, to make my attendance possible, even easy! I was placed in the most wonderful dorm with the 60 of the most wonderful girls I know. I know the friendships I've made within our community will last a very long time.




College has definitely been a struggle for me, and I have a long way to go before I will be really happy with my performance. But I made it through my first semester! My best friend and I thought our philosophy class would kill us, but here we are. Heck, I even passed Greek. I've now determined that Classics is not the major for me, but I passed that class. I am so thankful for my amazing professors this semester in particular my American History, English, and Greek professors. These three professors inspired me to work hard (so I can be as smart as them) and taught me so much!

I've also gotten to do somethings I never would have thought to do, like seeing the Caravaggio exhibit, eating fondue, and going sailing. But my best experiences this semester usually involve sitting in the common room talking, watching Dr. Who, or baseball- just chilling with my friends. All in all 2011 was a roller coaster but in the best way possible!

1 comment: