I have noticed a slight trend in the Catholic Homeschool world. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but I have noticed this trend is a general thing. This is a modesty trend. How do I say this without getting everyone all upset?
What I've noticed is this trend to be modest to the point of frumpiness. I find this trend both understandable and weird. I understand the desire to be modest and to perserve purity, but why can't we do it while being fashionable? I'm not saying we should dress like teenage Jezabels, but I am saying that God will not strike us down if we dress fashionably and modestly.
As lay people it's our job to transform the world; we are called to do this in whatever situation we may be in. As teenage girls we are called to transform the world by setting an example of modesty. Dressing in an unflatteringly modest way doesn't make me want to dress like you. If you are dressed well and modestly, then people you meet on the street might notice and possibly rethink their own outfits. This is my take on modesty.
I recieved some very good adive from my confessor, recently. I was all worried because it seemed to be that the Saints didn't wear jewelry or anything, but what he said was (paraphrased)," It's not that the Saints didn't wear a little bit of jewelry or make-up; it's that they weren't attatched to them." I though that this was very sound advice. What I'm trying to say is that it isn't so much what we wear, whether it's a floor length skirt or trendy jeans, but it's a modesty of heart. A desire to be pure no matter what we wear.
No comments:
Post a Comment