On October 2, St. Therese was honored by the church. She was my first favorite Saint ever. I remember being about 10 or 11 and reading the Leaflet Missal catalog (I was still Anglican at the time) and being like, " Wow! This Saint has all sorts of stuff with her face on it; she must be great." Okay, not exactly like that, but my interest was definitely sparked by seeing her stuff in the catalog; she was also the first Saint whose writings I read. So happy very belated feast day St. Therese.
On October 16, St Gerard was honored. St. Gerard is my confirmation Saint and probably my very favorite Saint. He is the patron Saint of expectant mothers, because his prayers helped a woman in labor. He was a Redemptorist lay brother, who was so holy that he was given the gifts of bi-location, levitation, and the ability to read consciences. I thought he was pretty cool.
O Great Saint Gerard, beloved servant of Jesus Christ, perfect imitator of your meek and humble Savior, and devoted Child of the Mother of God: enkindle within my heart one spark of that heavenly fire of charity which glowed in your heart and made you an angel of love. O glorious Saint Gerard, because when falsely accused of crime, you did bear, like your Divine master, without murmur or complaint, the calumnies of wicked men, you have been raised up by God as the Patron and Protector of expectant mothers. Preserve me from danger and from the excessive pains accompanying childbirth, and shield the child which I now carry, that it may see the light of day and receive the lustral waters of baptism through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
This the normal prayer to St. Gerard. Don't get any ideas...
My first prayer requests might involve some praying to St. Gerard. My friends mother is expecting and is afraid she might be having complications, so if you could pray for her and the baby, that would be great.
Please continue to pray for my cousin, who is expecting her second.
Please Pray for baby Maisie, who is about a year old and was born to parents that are so young it's scary. Please pray that she gets all the material and spiritual care she needs.
Please pray for Gemma and Brandon as they start making college decisions.
Last, but not least, please pray for Gemma and me as we go on a pilgrimage, next week.
Cole turned 12, yesterday. Yeah, it was a little scary. I spent the whole time going, "You're 12?!?!?!?!? Ahhhhhhh! I feel old!" Yup, my baby brother is so gwown up.
We had a very good Halloween and All Saints day. I went trick-or-treating which was awesome. I went as Lucille Ball with the red lipsticky smile and everything. The other kids were Radagast the Brown from Lord of the Rings, Aragorn, and a really, really, really sparkly fairy. For All Saints we were St. Ursula (me), St. Gerard (Cole), St. George with a sword (Conrad), and St. Walburga (Verity). The upshot is we got more candy than was necessary and had a whole lot of fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment