Tuesday, January 26, 2010

March For Life 2010

First of all, the march for life. I went with my dad and about 100 other folks from school. We were on the bus were everyone had three seats to themselves and slept the whole time. I was way to wired to sleep and spent most of the trip talking to and throwing things at Leo (a dear friend of mine who was being unbearably annoying).The only really unfortunate thing that happened on the way to DC was somebody's choice of movie. We watched Juno. Yeah, don't watch that movie. Other than that our trip up was hunky dunky.
We pulled up in front of our hotel about 6 hours after we left the school (record time). We all climbed very stiffly out of the bus and ran for the hotel bathrooms. We checked into our rooms ate pizza and took off for the Shrine. The director of campus ministry and I managed to find about a foot and a half of floor space behind a column. I spent the entire Mass trying to pray, keep my belongings together, and not knock Brother so-and-so over. It was a very warm, interesting experience. Then we piled back on to the buses and headed back to the hotel, where we hung out for awhile before crashing for about three hours.

We all got up at five, ate breakfast, stumbled on to the bus, realized we'd lost a monk, found said monk, left hotel, and arrived at the Verizon Center. Leo got off the bus and immediately began trying to sell his ticket to the Youth Rally. The Youth Rally was awful. The music was all priase and worship played by a sentimental dad-aged guy. Fourtunately, after Communion, a schola from one of the Seminaries, and they were amazing! All I could think while they were singing was, "Okay, so we've got sentimental, middle-aged people doing this praise and worship this, then we've got these young, good-looking seminarians doing this. I really don' think ouor generation is into praise band Mass." It took like three hours too.
They finally let us out of the Verizon Center, and we headed for the actual march. We stood around in fronst of the Smithsonian for a reaaly long time, pretending to listen to speeches (it was too windy to hear). Then we began walking very, very slowly, and when we finally made it to the street, I realized the only part of our group I could see was an admissions staff member and a monk. So we started pushing and shoving through the crowd, trying to find our group. We hadn't found them by 3:20, ten minutes before we were supposed to leave, so we ran to the station. They didn't show up for another hour at least. My dad had only left four messages on my phone, and I had to text Leo to tell dad where I was. We left around six, and didn't get home until two. So, it was just like last year, only different.

No comments:

Post a Comment